Sunday, April 24, 2016

Here we go again...

  Yet another Ginormous Shiney Chicken crosses my path. I've been mulling over how to pull off a Privateer/Freelancer style game. Been staring me in the face for years, I just wasn't smart enough to recognize it.
   Privateer and Freelancer, for those who don't know, are merchant games in space. They are not an RPG by my standards, though they are advertised that way. The main character usually starts off with a ship, albeit very modest, and a small amount of money. You are then supposed to make your way in the universe. You strive to upgrade the aspects of your ship to make it faster, better armed, larger cargo capacity. You make money by trading commodities between different planets and space stations. The obstacles preventing you doing so easily, are various alien threats, pirates, and the military and police forces (if you choose to engage in smuggling).
   I have played the original Privateer, Privateer II: The darkening, and Freelancer. The only problem I've run into with them is... Replayability. Once you've played the main plot line, you've usually got buckets of cash, a top of line ship, and there is nothing left in the game to see.
   The question is how to bring the merchant in space games from the computer to the tabletop. I had tried once before, but couldn't get anyone interested. Things are different now. The greatest freedom I've found is making the decision to only write for the games I like. I don't have to try and please players , rules lawyers, or setting Nazis anymore. I just have to write it down. As long as I'm happy with it, that's all that matters.
   In the midst of packing up a sizable chunk of games, to make room for crafting space, I happened across a game I've not played in quite some time. Silent Death. SD is tactical level space fighter combat game. Primarily a miniature game, I.C.E. added an rpg to the system later on.
   I already have a file of material from Privateer and Freelancer as I was trying to integrate them into a Traveller game. So I don't have much in the way of research to do. I can pretty much start tinkering with the plot and mechanics right now.

   So, here I go again. Chasing after the ginormous shiney chickens of game design. Yet another project to fill up shelf space and distract me from the multitude of projects I've already started.

But hey, at least now I can find a use for all the Silent Death minis I have.

Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment