Sunday, July 26, 2015

Electronics? NO!

   Call me a pseudo-luddite if you wish, but if I ever run a game again, NO ELECTRONICS AT THE TABLE!
   I don't need to compete for the attention of the players. If you're bored with the game, you should go home and surf on your laptop there, not at my game. I have noticed over the many years and many games, players that were just going through the motions because they thought they should. They weren't really interested. The only reason they were there was to be able to get into the hobby shop after hours. I won't play in hobby shops anymore, there is too much distraction there.
   I've seen players get up and wander around the store, bring books for other games back to table, and then expect me to rehash everything for them. I specifically told a group no electronics, and one of the players responded by setting up his laptop. That game lasted exactly one session.
   I'm a dedicated bibliophile. I like the smell of printed pages, I like the feel of paper between my fingers. Thanks to my parents for instilling in me a love of reading and books. I have a substantial library of regular, as well as, game books. On a variety of subjects. Not to mention the reams of paper in 3 ring binders. My home office is littered with composition books full of notes, story ideas, game ideas, odd ideas... Well you get the picture.
   Lets keep the video games and tabletop games separated thank you. Why do some players feel the need to lay out their characters on a 15 page spread sheet. It has to take forever to find anything. I think keeping your character sheet  in electronic format ruins your immersion. Our reliance on electronics, while making some aspects of our lives easier, have made the younger generations lack focus and concentration. They sit down at a table and expect to be entertained, instead of contributing to their own entertainment.
   The temptation is too great. Some of you will read this and just roll your eyes. That's fine, go ahead. Just don't come whining to me when you game dies because you're more interested in facebook, and the GM skips you. Don't call it multitasking either, that don't fly with me, humans cannot truly multitask. It not possible. Our brains are only capable of doing one thing at a time. yes we can switch activities very quickly, but we'll never multitask.
   Most of you have seen the meme of the kids all walking to the bus stop heads down, staring at their phones. The caption says it's the new zombie apocalypse, it's not far from thee truth. Disconnect people. Ever try going dark for just a weekend? Try it some time, it's enlightening.
   While not a very coherent rant, it is just something to think about. Limit your use of electronics on your games, and you might get a little deeper into character, you might enjoy it a little more.

Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment