Tuesday, March 1, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 30

Best playing/DMing experience

   1978 or 1979, that's when I started playing D&D. I have played on and off in the intervening years. I took a break from that world for a few years because my hormones got the better of me. Girls didn't like D&D nerds back then, so I stopped playing to chase skirts. Yes I know NOW to just be myself and everybody else can get bent but the world was different place back then, and I had different priorities.
   I have played in innumerable games from the time I started. I have run innumerable games. Despite all the minor frustrations. Idiot, power mongering, munchkin, baby bird, "my character wouldn't do that" players, I've had plenty of enjoyable experiences while both playing and DMing. I was spending time with people I mostly liked. I told stories to great acclaim. I got to exact vengeance on those that annoyed me. Hell, I used to keep score... 237 PCs and 16 TPKs. I have many massive 5 inch 3 ring binders full of material I came up with for games. I enjoyed every second of the creation process. I still do.
   I still enjoy the thought of all the material I've written down being released upon my death, and all the haters can do is rail against the wind. I enjoy the knowledge of all the secrets in my games dying with me, NONE OF YOU KNOW WHAT TRULY WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!'
             [Sorry about that. The maniacal secret keeping killer DM broke loose for a minute.]

   The point of this exercise was to get me to write more to improve. I probably haven't. This whole exercise was about forming the writing habit. I'm going to find another one these and do that next. It won't be immediately, but soon-ish. I have a pile of ideas to get down on paper before I forget them. If any of you know of any of these blogging challenges (must also relate to gaming) let me know.
   I have many fond memories of gaming because I had fun while doing it. Go out there and have fun playing whatever game you want to play. Just remember the Golden Rule of Gaming: Life is to short to game with dick heads, don't do it.

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment