Saturday, March 19, 2016

Odds n Wierds

   In the course of listening to podcasts this week, I've heard a few things that have spurred me to put some thoughts out there.

Character Death

   It may be because my entry into gaming was through war games, but I have never been all that upset when one of characters has died. Miffed maybe, perturbed, disappointed possibly. But never enough to cry over. This is why I can't quite understand someone being heart broken when one of their characters takes a dirt nap. One of your characters dies, that just makes the next characters success that much sweeter. I don't get into the "deep" roleplay. The game is supposed to be fun, I don't consider an instrument of social change or an opportunity for emotional exploration. IT'S A GAME! Your characters are scribbles on a piece of paper, not alter egos, not reflections of the id or the ego or the super ego. Do you burst into tears when your Monopoly token get sent to jail? No, you roll the dice until you get doubles. Do you have a fit when  your Tsuro token goes off the map? No, you get up, grab a coke and wait for the next game to start.
   Seriously folks, table flipping because a character dies shows a stunning lack of maturity. You need to sit back, make a note not to open that chest again without checking for traps and roll up a new character. DCC has the right idea with the "funnel" roll up abunch of characters and see which one survives. This approach helps you develop Player skills. You should learn from your mistakes. having a character die is a mistake. Either on your part or your dice's part. Learn from and don't do that again. Or throw your dice across the parking lot out back of the hobby shop...

Crunch vs. Fluff and the Rules lite argument

   Again, because my entry into gaming was thru war games I happen to like complicated rule sets. My secret shame is that I like to read government documents. Not sure why, just like reading complicated language. An aside: the rules for Starfire 3rd edition read like stereo instructions, GAWD I love reading them.
   It's up to the GM and the players to create the stories (fluff). It's like trying to play out the plot of a movie substituting your characters for the main characters in the movie, never ends well. Metaplot should be used to generate ideas for games, not make the GM and players slaves to the story. Don't be lazy, write your own stories.
   On the subject of Rules Lite vs. Rules heavy. It comes down to personal preference. Quit shouting at everyone that they have to like what you like.
   My preference is somewhere in between the two extremes. I believe in rulings not rules. Let the GM of the game decide what makes sense in their game. I refer you back to this post.
   I haven't played or even looked at 5th edition D&D, but I hear it's a modular rules set. You can pick and choose what rules you want to use. That seems like a pretty good compromise for all the rules ragers out there. Of course any rules set can be modular, provided your table isn't chock full-o-rules lawyers.

   So there it is. More pointless dribbling of my ever twisted mind. Consider it or not. Just go play and have fun.

Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment