Sunday, February 21, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 21

Favorite Dragon

"It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."
J. R. R. TOLKIEN, The Hobbit
 
 

   They are half the name in my favorite rpg. They should be prolific in games, but not ubiquitous. They should inspire awe and fear among players. Frequently they do not however. People have overlooked the potential of dragons. What I will relate to you today is the ideas I've been working on for my games. I'll probably never get a chance to actually use them in a game, but maybe someone out there has a place to put them.

 

   I decided in the early stages of creating my latest homebrew world, that I would try and put a different spin on dragons. What I started with you can find here. There were 5 great old dragons on the face of Nohj. The Dracolich you've read about already.

 

   Diaphasia Chlorum Antiqua. An ancient green dragon that conquered the first dwarf clan hold. She attracted to her court all manner of dire enemies of the dwarves. She met her end at the hands of an Elven champion out for revenge on Diaphasia for the destruction of the elf cities in the Gatewood forest. The champion now wears her hide as armor and trophy, her head decorates the main hall in the Elf King's court. The is cause for great ire between the dwarves and elves. The Dwarves had desired the exact revenge themselves and reclaim their ancestral home. There are rumors her ghost persists in the ruined halls of Kurgur Krai.

 

   Myxcrucias Frigidus. The White Queen of the frozen wastes. I haven't much more than an vague idea of awaits  adventurers willing to brave the cold and blizzards. Still working on that one. I had considered artic bugbears as her minions, but the flavor is still up in the air. I borrowed the dragon crown idea from one of my favorite writers, but I'm trying to steer away from copying the whole thing outright. I'm considering using snow serpents and possibly some form of giant crabs as guardians. Maybe Troglodytes...

 

   Kelendarsis Conflagratio is an ancient Red dragon in the western canyon lands of the western area of Nohj. He commands an army of Hyena men. He lies in wait, biding his time until She of Five Faces calls again for the evil dragons to rise up in war against the lesser races. The PCs were going to have to make their way thru the canyon lands fraught with all manner of fire creatures along with a few I made up. Kelendarsis was going to make Smaug look like a pussycat.

 

   I've saved the my favorite for last. Black dragons are by far my favorite of all them. They are mean, just flat out nasty. The spew acid. The legend of the Darkness in the east is all about Apsis the Black. Consort to She of Five Faces. If you are a child of the 80's then you have undoubtedly heard of the board game Dark Tower. I've come up with numerous ways to run a game based on it, and Apsis is by far, my best idea yet. Apsis Causticus conquered the lands of Zehrand. The PCs were going  to have to fight their around the lands surrounding the tower lair of Apsis. In place of brigands there are black dragon lizard men. It promised to be a lot of fun.

 

   I'll leave you with these. During this writing I've had a glimmer of an idea for a Blue Dragon. So now I'll grab one of my numerous notebooks lying about and do a little brainstorming. You guys go off and have fun playing something.

 

 

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment