Wednesday, February 3, 2016

30 day D&D challenge. Day 3


Favorite PC Class

   This topic needs to be broken down into two parts. What was my favorite class back in the day. And what is my favorite class to play now-a-days.

   Way back when, some 30+ years ago (GAWD I’m OLD!) I was all about the Thieves, and Barbarians, and possibly Cavaliers, and maybe Illusionists. I  really just liked being to do all the things those classes could do. I had not the depth of thought or personality to work from a position of authority in matters regarding background or anything resembling a story, at that time.

   I had been reading everything I could get my hands on at that age. Which means Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, Tolkien, Howard Pyle (Thanks Mom), all the required fantasy reading of the day. These authors colored my choices back then. And this is just fantasy... Wait tiI I discover science fiction and the game Traveller!

But I doth chase chickens.

   Tastes change over the years, I have migrated from wanting to play characters because of the powers they can wield to trying to get classes to do things they weren’t meant to do, to making more out of the characters backstory to make them interesting. Currently I have this fascination with pairing certain classes with obscure professions. This has a two-fold benefit. First, I get to research things like Bell casting, Coopers (barrel making), and Book binding. Second, it’s a challenge (albeit minor) to pair certain Mideval professions with character classes. More on Bell casting in a later post.

   Overall my favorite class has to be the 1st Edition Bard. It was so difficult to actually become a Bard back then. You had to go through Fighter, then Thief, then you became a provisional Bard. But O the things you could do when you finally got there! Every old school player I have ever met, has at least once tried to get to full blown BARD. It’s tough to qualify for. Takes a very long to time achieve. It takes commitment.

   I have probably rambled for long enough. I don’t want to run the risk of boring you.

 

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment