Saturday, February 6, 2016

30 day D&D challenge. Day 6

Favorite Deity

Vecna The Whispered One. Anyone who has talked to me for any length of time about D&D, would know this. No one knows why. Allow me to tell you why now.

   I had a Ranger that found the Hand and the Eye. He had lost part of an arm 2 adventures earlier, and had a custom gauntlet made that sported a short sword, so he could still wield dual weapons. After acquiring the Hand and the Eye. My plans for him changed. I was going to make him into a walking Cuisinart. Now that I had not just one but TWO artifacts. Here's the part where I start leaning towards magic using classes. Keep in mind, I had not read the entry in DMG for either of the artifacts. I only knew they were very powerful. My Ranger went to the nearest high powered M-U and paid an exorbitant amount of money for a Wish spell. That was a quest unto itself.
   What I wrote for the Wish spell will stand as my finest work for all time. It was a 9 pages long, one continuous sentence. I thought I had figured for every contingency. If you read the Wish spell from 1st edition, "Regardless of what is wished for, the exact terminology of the Wish spell is likely to be carried through" This was permission to the DMs to completely screw with the player. Sean, my DM at the time did compliment me on my thoroughness. But he also thought of something I hadn't. Yes my Ranger would be able to keep the Hand and the Eye, he would not turn irrevocably Neutral Evil, however the Eye would take over when uncovered, and the Hand would have it's own personality. The Hand would eventually subdue the Eye, but the DM could make create any consequence of releasing the Eye. I was a victim of Artifact Power Madness., I didn't care about the consequences, I just wanted POWER! Only after I had committed to casting the spell and carving out my own eye, did Sean let me read the entries for the Hand and the Eye in the DMG.
   Now, there will be those of you, who upon reading this will carry a certain degree of disbelief about the events I've just relayed. If you want to know how we got away with it... THIS IS 1ST EDITION AD&D! That's how we did it. This was collaborative story telling. We could do things like this because we didn't have to answer to game companies or other gamers. There was no internet, hence no internet trolls. We were six friends that enjoyed telling stories and creating legends.
   Rest assured I did not continue to play that character. I retired him and he became part of my personal array of Mary Sue NPCs. I don't use him in games anymore, I just keep him around for the fond memories.
   That is why Vecna will always be my favorite Deity. He fired my imagination and inspired me to great deeds. He also infected me with an obsession. I collected everything I could find on the Maimed Lord. I still have a notebook full of the stories I have written about Vecna. Maybe one day I'll let everyone read them.
   There you have it folks. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for another exciting episode. In the meantime...

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment