Thursday, February 11, 2016

30 Day D&D Challenge. Day 11

Favorite Adventure You ran.

   OH HELL YEAH! Tomb of Horrors. By far the most fun I've ever had running a game. No one took it seriously. I read it, and even I, a heinously murderous DM thought it was too brutal. Keep in mind, I really like traps. Really REALLY, like traps.
   I have spoken earlier about my fondness for traps. I have proclaimed myself Grimtooth's Heir.
   After the first run of ToH you just can't take it seriously anymore. After the 3rd or 4th run through, things will turn comedic. You actually start doing things to ensure the character you're playing meets the most gruesome end possible. The Sphere of Annihilation is still a source of entertainment every time I run it.
   This module is so iconic , it was used in the book Ready Player One. (btw if you haven't read it YOU MUST!)
   I think the big G got sick of his players walking over his monsters, so he decided to pull out all the safety protocols and DM restraint and just kill characters. I can respect that. I can even back that decision, having been there many times. Probably one of the many reasons I don't run games anymore....
   I can't do it justice. In trying to critique it, I would ruin your experience. Let's leave it at any of the S Series modules are fairly mean. The often make no sense, but they don't really have to either. It is a "fantasy" role playing game after all. ~my inner control freak still bristles~ Just play them if you get the chance. And don't take them too seriously. It's just a game.

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment