Wednesday, February 24, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 24

Favorite Spell

   When I was playing regularly, I was a tad dark. I tried on several occasions to walk the knife edge between good and evil. I tried several times to play True Necromancers, alas to no avail. Never could get all the requirements met. Just didn't have time. The games either ended or faded before I could get my characters to a respectable level.
   Hexus. He was my 10th level Wizard, specialized in Necromancy, D&D 3.5 rules. Right about the time I hit 9th level, The Book of Vile Darkness came out. Due to my anal-completest tendencies at the time, I owned it fairly quickly. A cursory scan and I got a really dark vibe from it. So I decided to lean towards the socially unacceptable behavior called Evil. What had originally caught my eye was a spell, Crushing Fist of Spite. Unholy Crap! An attack spell that did 20D6 damage. And manifests as a Ginormous Fist! What's not to like? The imagery is fantastic. Massive Damage potential, and with the feats available... A Cold Acid Crushing Fist of Spite, yadadada... etc. etc. I don't speak Munchkin anymore.
   Crushing Fist of Spite was a nasty spell. But I wanted to make sure I inflicted emotional damage on the object of my ire. So what I gravitated towards was the spell Wrack. I got to use it exactly twice in that game. First was when two parties met. We were replacement characters for those who had died earlier. And the way the DM portrayed it, was in a darkened passage, and we didn't know the intensions of the two parties. So when we got within visual distance, I didn't quite trust that the creatures on the other side of the wall were friendly. So I zapped the first thing to poke it's head around the corner. Turned out it was a friend of mine, playing a rogue. Stuby* poked his head around the corner and I zapped him. It was satisfying hearing the DM describe his helplessness. Sue me! I can hold a grudge. For an eternity.
   The second time isn't memorable enough to relate, I used it on a Temple Guard. It performed as expected. Got us in the temple.
   There it is. My dark secret. I used an Evil spell. The one I really wanted to use was Liquid Pain. Just couldn't find an opportunity. I liked the idea of inflicting pain. That's all you get for now.


Happy Gaming!


*A word about Stuby: This is a guy who's twisted interpretations of the Batteltech rules rendered the game "Not Fun" because he only had to roll a 4 or better to hit with artillery. No challenge there, just pointless frustration. So, a bit of payback didn't bother me in the slightest.

No comments:

Post a Comment