Thursday, February 18, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 18

Favorite Planar being/creature

   Carnivorous bipedal frogs. Whiskey Tango Foxtrot... That is seriously messed up. Whoever had that nightmare, I really hope they worked through those issues.

   Slaad are seriously weird. This works in their favor, and yours. If you came up with a plan but its so over the top bizarre, you just can't picture any normal BBEG attempting it... A Slaad did it.
   I strung together a whole bunch of Dungeon magazine adventures some time ago. (As I am wont to do, I'll explain that process later if you're interested) Anyway, the McGuffin was a large ring gear*. The gear has been stolen from the Locus Control room at the center of the plane of Mechanus. Oh gee, guess who stole it? Yup a Slaad. It was a Death Slaad called Slessma. He had removed it so Machnus would eventually stop and the entire plane would disintegrate and become another Limbo.
   I look at Slaad as the bad ass mercenaries of the Fantasy world. Try and think of the Expendables movies, all the bad guys in those movies could be Slaad, Stonebanks especially. Of course, being seriously weird, Slaad can be groupies for other, more insanity inducing things. That same campaign with the ring gear, I had also put an Eldritch horror adventure in there. Something about a travelling acting troupe and the play The King in Yellow. I never got that far in the campaign, but another Death Slaad in service to Cthulhu was going to be behind it all.

   I also harbor a fondness for Githyanki. Since the first time I read about them in the original Fiend Folio, I have always wanted to come up with something that features Githyanki, just haven't quite nailed that idea to the floor yet. It may have to be like the Istivin campaign, just a string of adventures taken from Dungeon magazine. I seem to remember either in Dungeon or Dragon magazine a big special they did on the Gith races, I just have to dig thru all my mags and find it. I don't think I'll focus on the silver swords though, that would be too easy. Have to work on a thing... Whadda ya think? I am open to suggestions.

   OK, so here it is again. The opportunity to engage. I have the Istivin campaign all typed up. If you want to run it for your group, it's fairly comprehensive in it's write up. I put it in outline form. Just don't try and follow it to the letter. Your players are going to find the most insignificant little morsel to focus on, thereby rendering any plans you had irrelevant. If you would like a copy of it, with supporting materials, all you have to do is ask. All I ask is you don't try and publish it professionally. It wasn't designed with that in mind, and I don't want to make money from it, and as far as I'm  concerned, neither should anyone else. Most DMs just starting out have a hard enough time coming up with ideas that are coherent enough to hold their groups attention. The things I write I give away to those that will run it for their group. It's not nearly good enough to try and sell. As I sit here typing, I have decided to find the magazine that focused on the Gith races, and devote some energy to writing something. I may even put the whole design process up on the blog.

   I think I wasted enough of your time today. Planar creatures are a lot fun to tinker with. Signing off now to work on tomorrow's post.

Happy Gaming!




*I have a big heavy ring gear from a car transmission that has been chromed. I also have a chromed drive shaft (don't ask)

No comments:

Post a Comment