Thursday, February 4, 2016

30 day D&D challenge. Day 4


Favorite game world



GREYHAWK!

   That is a picture that hangs on the wall in the home office. I used to have little sticky flags that I had placed on all the major published modules were located. The only one I still have marked is The Keep on the Borderlands. (Lower Left, little blue flag)

   This is the world I grew up in. Our group played all the major modules, and because “Strict time records must be kept” we played the overland travel to get from place to place as well.

   Longest journey we’ve ever undertaken was from The Free City of Greyhawk to The Forgotten City in the Sea of Dust. By the time we had finished, we were all in the upper teens in levels. Took us over a 15 years in game time.

   One of my personal joys, is being able to create material for Greyhawk. I may have never had anything professionally published, but I have reams of notes of the history of Greyhawk. Just so I could string together modules and self-created adventures.

   I don’t know about anyone else, but reading the plethora of material published for Greyhawk, taught me a huge amount. It gave me the confidence to start creating my own game worlds. I have, to date, created 5 game worlds. 3 from scratch, 2 others from maps used for inspiration (Thank you Christopher West!) I keep threatening to put one up on the blog….

   I could gush about my favorite game world, I could go on and tell you about everything I’ve read or written about it. But, you don’t want to hear that.
The highlight of this entire post, is to say…

My first is still my favorite.


Happy gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment