Tuesday, February 9, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 9

Favorite PC You'd like to play.

   I don't have one PC I'd like to play. It's more along the lines of a party concept I want to try. Please allow me to elaborate...

   Every single D&D game, no matter the edition, is house ruled. whether by simply omitting rules that slow down the game and pull you out of immersion. Or by adding rules to cover a situation not covered. (Refer back to previous posts when asking about how I feel about rules not rulings) In my first edition days, we left out lots of the rules to speed up game play. Of course 1st edition had lots of rules no one actually used.

-This is where my sick fascination with reading government documents comes into play-

   I want to make one character from each class in the Players Handbook and Unearthed Arcana. Strictly by the rules, using the ability score minimums determined by each class. Once I have them all made, I'll start with an introductory module and run a randomly selected party of these characters through it. Rules as Written. *Insert sarcasm here* Yes this will mean a level of record keeping worthy of only accountants, but I don't think I have played a 1st edition game with every rule in effect.
   If anyone has actually done this, please let me know if you're still sane and competent to make decisions on your own. This seems like a daunting project even for me, King of the Controls Freaks. Scoff if you like. But someone was bound to do it one day, just to keep the memory alive.
   I had planned to use randomly generated party members and run as many of the originals modules as I could before being committed to a mental health facility. I will do my best to keep the Bard candidate alive to see what ling of Bard he will end up being.
   So this post is a bit short. But I really don't have a singular PC I want to play. I've taken a more philosophical bent in my thinking towards the rules of AD&D. Please don't ask me to explain it, I can't. Maybe it's just my advancing age making me senile.
   My apologies for the bait and switch on topics, but seriously, I don't think about playing anymore. Just writing about the game.

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment