Wednesday, February 17, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 17

Favorite Animal/Insect/Arachnid

   I am in the majority of humans in my fear of spiders. I do not and never will understand people who keep them as pets. As far as I'm concerned, anything with more than six legs is not indigenous to this planet. I DO NOT LIKE SPIDERS!
   OK, I do tend to use them in my games... a lot. I had a gargantuan spider godlike thing guarding the ancient docks of Atlantis. I had a house sized spider lying in wait for unwary party members inside a ruined tower of a half submerged castle. The PCs did the only natural thing with a bug that big. They killed it with fire. As you must with all spiders. (My neurosis about spiders borders on Homeric) The Bloodrose campaign has an encounter with a nest of Ettercaps.
   I'm also very fond of giant scorpions and Ankhegs. Thri Kreen used to have some fascination for me long ago. Giant Centipedes can  fun as party favors. The fire beetles in Neverwinter Nights were kinda cool. You know what I mess? Rot grub. Those little bastards are insidious. I never used them enough in dungeons, them or Carrion Crawlers... File that under gaming regrets. In general, I think insects are underutilized in rpgs. I'd like to go on and on, but I don't want to be a pest about it. :-)
   This is going to be a very short post. I just don't have a lot to say about bugs and animals. They 're all sockets for the wrench of my DM toolbox. This is why I read other blogs and listen to podcasts, to get ideas.

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment