Sunday, February 28, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 28

PCs you've sworn off playing.

   Not only have I sworn off playing them, I don't allow them in my games. Monks. I have never understood the aesthetic decision of inclusion the "Kwai Chang Caine" far eastern character class in a European medieval fantasy setting. That's what Oriental Adventures was for.
   If you were going to include Monks, why not make them a new magic using class? Why not a blend of Arcane and Divine magic? Why not make it a holy warrior class with different powers from a Paladin? There was an article or addition somewhere that added the Cloistered Cleric. That should have been the Monk class.
   I came up with a Sword Disciple for 3.5 as a replacement for the Monk. Think of Jedi or Sith, only with normal swords, or some form of captured or magic blade.Actually, now that I think some more about it I'll write that up for 1st edition. Give them some of the Thief's skills along with those of the Thief Acrobat. Toss in a dash of psionic body control as a class power with a high Wisdom requirement. Maybe some other flavor benefits like followers or a temple or something like that.
   Maybe a new magic using class like an astrologist or seer. There is the possibility of the ability to construct an observatory, with long rituals instead of spells. Longer lasting effects. Yeah, I could see an arcane divination class, non-adventuring like the Cloistered Cleric. This will give me a chance to write some new spells, come up with some new class powers or benefits. I'll do some brain storming and post it later. Maybe I'll post both of them. Anybody wanna see 'em? You'll have to let me know if you do.

Happy gaming!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment