Saturday, February 27, 2016

30 Day D&D challenge. Day 27

Favorite curse or cursed item

   Cursed Item is easy. Helm of Opposite Alignment. In the dungeon cells of The Keep on the Borderlands there is an insane paladin screaming at the walls. The story goes like this. I was running some friends thru Keep on the Borderlands, at one point I roll up the Helm as random treasure. I didn't even have to ask, the Paladin just said "I put on the helm"... ... ... :-}  I've never been so proud. When players just go for the gusto I just get all teary eyed. These were the days when players really weren't concerned with whether their characters lived or died, we just enjoyed playing. Anyway, the Paladin put on the helmet, I had to think how a human mind would react to such a sudden shift in philosophy. He had an Intelligence of 11 so I decided that if he rolled his Int or over, he would just be evil, and if rolled lower then an 11 he would go insane. He rolled a 9. To his credit, it took all the remaining members of the party to subdue him.
   Favorite Curse is another story all together. I have to go with "The well placed fumble" curse. You know how it is, you working your way thru a dungeon, nothing so far has managed to put up much of a fight. Ya get a little cocky, go for a called shot, and your die betrays you. It gets to be even more memorable when the character you're playing dies because of it. I had a Warlock in a 3.5 game, had Phantasmal Killer cast on him, blew a 1 on the save. The Cleric felt fantastic, she was over the moon. The warlock was still dead. That was a fun game though. I was running game, when the Gnome Fighter blew a Dex save on a 1 and got cut in half by the collapsing bridge/cage trap.
   I think my favorite curse of all time has got to be "The Gumby Ninja Kobold" Commonly referred to as Lil Bastard by the afflicted parties. If your party isn't moving fast enough, or if you're just feeling particularly mean add a whispered giggle to the background noises of the dungeon. Then have the little shit start leading all the wandering monsters from all over the dungeon to the party. Hilarity ensues... Not something I've ever used. Nor would I ever.
   I've had my share moments of karmic revenge. Those were just a few of the many. take it as you will.

Happy Gaming!

No comments:

Post a Comment